So ETHGlobal New York, 2023 just concluded a few days ago, and going through all the notable events for writing this recap journey was absolutely jaw-dropping, to say the least!
To begin with, let’s first understand what the event is all about & then we will take a deep dive into everything notable that took place in New York!
What is the ETH Global event all about?
Ethereum is at the forefront of onboarding web3 developers into its ecosystem & welcoming everyone who wants to be a part of the ever-growing blockchain universe.
ETH Global on the other hand started with a vision to bring developers together on a platform, very fondly known as “Hackathon” (Hacking + Marathon)
The core team of ETH Global is behind the entire madness of these events. It all began with ETHWaterloo in 2017, the World’s largest Ethereum hackathon with over 400 hackers and 32 countries participating.
The impact in numbers:
- 50+ Hackathons and summits
- 1000+ Hours of educational talks
- 6,000+Projects created
- 70k+Members onboarded
- $4.5M+Worth of prizes given away
- $250M+Raised as companies
Everything that happened at ETHNew York, 2023
The event was a massive success and the numbers speak for themselves:
- 1400 attendees
- 950 hackers
- 49 countries
- 33% new to web3
- 311 project submissions
There was a total prize pool of $500,000 for projects to take home. These were distributed across different sponsors, verticals, and sample problem statement solving using protocols at various levels for the developers.
A total of 46 hackathon sponsors which included the likes of 1inch, Polygon, MetaMask, Lens Protocol, Mina Protocol, and Hyperlane amongst others
Each sponsor partner had their own hackathon track to challenge developers to come up with the best use case according to their protocol-level technology. To put things into perspective and detail:
Polygon: The prize pool was designated to developers who could build — – $5,000 Best use of zkEVM
– $5,000 LxLy Bridge zkEVM Extension
– $5000 Best use of Polygon ID’s Verifiable Credentials to preserve user privacy
– $5,000 Best Public Good with Account Abstraction or Gasless transactions on Polygon
WorldCoin: USD 20,000 was up for grabs at the hackathon for devs who build on top of World ID, distributed as follows:
- $5000 to the Best Overall 🥇
- $2500 to the Most Creative Use Case 🧞
- $2500 to the Best Governance App 🧑⚖️ (This can include democratic voting, DAO governance, etc.…)
- $2500 to the Best AI Use Case 🤖 (This can include AI safety, reputation systems, or any idea leveraging AI)
- $2500 to the Best Sign-in with Worldcoin App 🔑
- Up to 2x $1000 to Honorable Mentions 🏆
- $3000 Prize Pool – distributed equally among all qualifying submissions
1inch network: The project sponsored tracks for the following use-cases under 1st prize, 2nd prize & 3rd prize categories-
A prize pool of $20,000 was split into 4 bounties with each individual track
- Build an Innovative Application on top of 1inch Network’s Fusion API
- Build Innovative Solutions on top of 1inch Network’s Token Plugins
- Enhance your app with 1inch Developer Portal APIs
- Open Track
ETHGlobal New York Judges Panel
Consistent with previous ETH Global events, the judge’s panel at the ETHGlobal New York was led by the biggest names in the web3 space who decided on the champions that emerged from the Hackathon.
Some Notable names from the esteemed panel:
Skylar Weaver (Ethereum Foundation), Kartik Talwar (ETHGlobal), Zak Ayesh (Filecoin), Tarun Chitra (Huddle01), Patrick McCorry (Arbitrum Foundation), Nima Vaziri (Polychain Capital), Denis Nazarov (Mirror)
The ETHGlobal New York Finalists
Standing out amongst the 311 projects were the top 13, which made an impact on the judges & proved that their build was suitable for real-world use as well as making an impact with the available protocol technology at hand:
- FRAMED: FRAMED: A fully on-chain & trustless hidden information game (Mafia) built with fhEVM
The game’s objective is for the thief to eliminate citizens while they work together to identify and vote out the hidden thief…
- F.A.S.T.: F.A.S.T. is the fastest way to use the blockchain to interact between 2 users. Take a picture of yourself to sign up, and then snap a picture with someone else to interact with their address seamlessly.
- ZeroTrustBounty; We are solving challenges of traditional bug bounty platforms where businesses have to trust 3rd parties with sensitive data and whitehats have no guarantee of payment for their services
- Doom Arena: Distributed DApp for managing and creating contests around the Doom Games.
Anyone can initiate or participate in a contest, contributing to a vibrant gaming ecosystem.
- AirTracker: Decentralized physical asset tracking using AirTags and blockchain storage and messaging
You can log in to the web UI to see the historical locations of each asset on a map, as well as the specific time and location updates.
- SafeCreate2:Secure multi-chain smart contract deployments using a single-chain Safe
It also allows the single-chain Safe to execute admin functions on any of the multi-chain contracts.
- ConsciousNFT: AI-powered tools for NFT projects to awaken conscious identities within your NFTs
Create challenges and quests for your NFTs to compete in and earn generative NFT rewards.
- Space Guardians: Satellite Secured Access Recovery – A MetaMask Guardian management system using Snaps
We developed a security solution for social key recovery schemes MM snaps + Cryptosat satellites
- A.S.R.: You’re the owner of a smart contract but you lost the key. You’re screwed…. or are you? Anti Social Recovery is a design pattern that enables users to recover ownership of their smart contract after losing their signing keys
- MEVictim Rebate: Designing better market incentives by identifying MEV victims using historical on-chain data and airdropping victims a token to access a token-gated Uniswap v4 pool on Scroll.
This project incentivizes better behavior on Scroll based on a user’s historical on-chain data on ETH Goerli.
- RealReturn: RealReturn is an open leaderboard of verified real investment returns, enabled by TLSNotary and Jomo.
Now with RealReturn using Jomo and TLSNotary, we can enable anyone to prove their investment return publically without sharing their credentials with anyone, or anywhere.
- Abstract Wallet: Enables instant single-click onboarding of a user, with only a smartphone, using the power of AA with passkeys. Generate credentials, smart account, and mint an NFT, in 1 single click
- XSafe: Streamlines Gnosis Safe multi-sigs for cross-chain use.
Sign once & the signature auto-propagates to all linked chains. Execute single transactions across multiple networks.
In closing, ETH Global New York 2023 was a huge success and a testament to the vibrant and ever-growing Ethereum developer community. The event showcased the latest developments and innovations in Ethereum and provided a platform for members of the community to bring their ideas to life.
I hope this blog has helped you learn more about ETH Global New York 2023 and the exciting world of Ethereum.
See you with the next ETHGlobal event coverage on For Web3!